Promises, Promises

12:00 PM

After watching the first episodes of the third season, I am feeling so torn as I try to pick a topic to blog about this week. How is it that this part of the process gets so much more difficult the further we get. First I was thinking about how we are being introduced to so many more magic/supernatural elements this season, which really got me thinking about some theories regarding how some of those bits will end up playing out in the long run...but writing about such things right now would mean exposing WAY too many juicy spoilers. Considering a large number of my classmates are newbies to the series, I would like to stay away from such revealing topics.



So in the interest of keeping Game of Thrones plot secrets, instead I thought I would chat a bit about the scene in which Catelyn Stark reveals the story of the time that she prayed for Jon Snow's life (when he had the pox). I must say that the second time watching this season, I was struck by this scene in much the same way that I was the first time through the series. This entire scene feels both incredibly genuine yet contradictory at the same time...which is strangely normal feeling for this particular series.



This conversation takes place with Talisa, who offers to assist Catelyn in making some sort of dream-catcher that, along with prayer, is supposed to help with healing. Catelyn refuses Talisa's help, claiming that it is a job that only a mother can do. Strangely, she reveals that she has done this twice before, once for Bran (after his fall from the tower) and another time for Jon Snow (...who is not actually her son...). I find it intriguing that Catelyn both prays for Jon's death but then feels guilty enough to pray and make promises to the god's to save the life that she was just asking for them to take away.  I suppose, however, that for a mother, this feeling between love and hate for a child that is both innocent but reminds you of a betrayal is one that is hard to navigate.



I think that the most interesting reveal in this scene is when Catelyn tells Talisa that she refused to keep the promises that she made to the Gods for keeping Jon alive. Catelyn feel that this broken promise has resulted in the misfortune her family has suffered.



Interestingly, Talisa herself is a symbol of a broken promise. Robb was supposed to marry one of Walter Frey's daughters but after a short (and narratively strange) romance with Talisa, Robb feels he can no longer make good on that promise and weds whom he wants (Talisa) rather than the person to whom he has promised himself. Although I do not wish to spoil too much of the coming episodes...let's just say that this particular choice does not end well for dear old Robb. Like his mother, a broken promise results in consequences for the Stark family.



Because Catelyn seems to have an understanding of the power of a broken promise, I find it incredibly unnerving that she would allow Robb to break such an important diplomatic promise without thinking through the possible ramifications of such an act. Of course last season Catelyn does naively mention that she does not feel that Frey would ever hurt her (she's known him since she was young...) but one would think that the twists and turmoil of Westeros would make one weary of such general assumptions.



Perhaps this whole thing demonstrates that the Stark clan is best served by not breaking promises. We will have to see how all of this plays out now that Jon is North of the wall breaking his oath to "join" Mance Rayder's tribe of Wildlings.

But really, this scene illustrates that the Stark bunch are not as honorable as we tend to think....
_________________________________________________________________________________
ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. All the key Stark characters seem to have these seemingly small moments of dishonor: Ned lies about his loyalty to the king just before his head is decapitated, Rob breaks the vow about marriage, Caetlyn breaks her promise to the Gods in her prayer. Jon Snow is about to violate his vows to the Night Watch. I'm sure Bran and Rickon are just getting ready for some moral slippage. Arya and Sansa? They are too busy trying to survive I guess. But as I consider this litany of Stark white lies I find myself thinking they are kind of dense or dumb. Give up on the God's wood and Know Thyself, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the connections you found to promises and the Starks. Ned brings home a bastard son as a sign of his unfaithfulness (breach of promise) to Catelyn. Catelyn breaks her promise to love Jon as her own. Robb breaks his promise to wed the Frey gal (thus also breaking Catelyn's promise, since she began the agreement on his behalf), and Jon breaks his oath to serve in the Night's Watch. You're right -- this noble house seems to be done in by ignoble acts. (We might even tie Theon to the Starks, since he was raised by them...and his breach of promise to Robb Stark doesn't go well for him).

    It's interesting to see the way we view the Starks' unwise actions. Anyone else notice how much more they stick out when compared to others (who, presumably, don't aim to act with quite as much honor)? The act of failing seems so much more pronounced for those who claim to hold honor in such high esteem. Seems pretty similar to contemporary views of "hypocrisy" in those that the world deems "should do better."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you not only examine the dishonest acts of the Starks, but also use it to undermine their constant boasting about being honorable. No, they are not as cruel as the Lannisters or some of the other individual characters in the series. But they seem to make more of their noble and decent behavior than actually exists. Because they also seem to refer to the gods more often than just about anyone except Melisandre or Stannis, could this be more commentary on organized religion by Martin, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the scene with Catelyn and Talisa interesting because of the idea that the God's will punish those who are immoral, so to speak. Which confuses me because if that logic were true, the Lannisters would be fucked. Just another instance of religion really being at the forefront of decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really interesting to read your perspective about Robb's wife, and how this will cause him trouble in the near future. Also, I did find the scene with Catelyn to be very captivating but I did not realize that only the mother of the child was supposed to make the trinket for their own child. An interesting concept, and something that I did not pick up as I was watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this to be a bit confusing. Upon further refection, she may have just meant some who is a mother (maybe not necessarily to a specific child). So I suppose that might make more sense in her making one for Jon.

      Delete
  6. It’s so bittersweet have newbies to the series in this class. Now I definitely understand how hard it was for my friends who read the series to keep spoilers contained during our initial viewings. There’s so much more I understand the second time through. Broken promises really blow up don’t they? I love your Filch/Frey meme. David Bradley really knows how to play terrible characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s so bittersweet have newbies to the series in this class. Now I definitely understand how hard it was for my friends who read the series to keep spoilers contained during our initial viewings. There’s so much more I understand the second time through. Broken promises really blow up don’t they? I love your Filch/Frey meme. David Bradley really knows how to play terrible characters.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

GoT Scholars on Twitter